Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Poems, Prayers, and Promises

 
“Why the Egyptian, Arabic, Abyssinian, Choctaw? Well, what tongue does the wind talk? What nationality is a storm? What country do rains come from? What color is lightning? Where does thunder go when it dies?”
― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes
///////////////////////
 
 
“It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question and he'll look for his own answers.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

/////////////////////////////
 
“And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair”
― Khalil Gibran, The Prophet

////////////////////////////////////////
 
Eagle and the Hawk (Dueschendorf)

I am the eagle, I live in high country
In rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky
I am the hawk and there’s blood on my feathers
But time is still turning they soon will be dry
And all of those who see me, all who believe in me
Share in the freedom I feel when I fly
sail o’er the canyons and up to the stars
And reach for the heavens and hope for the future
And all that we can be and not what we are



///////////////////
Poems, Prayers, and Promises  (Dueschendorf)

I've been lately thinking about my life's time
All the things I've done and how it's been
And I can't help believing in my own mind
I know I'm gonna hate to see it end

I've seen a lot of sunshine, slept out in the rain
Spent a night or two all on my own
I've known my lady's pleasures
Had myself some friends and spent a time or two in my own home

And I have to say it now, it's been a good life all in all
It's really fine to have a chance to hang around
And lie there by the fire and watch the evening tire
While all my friends and my old lady, sit and pass the pipe around

And talk of poems and prayers and promises, and things that we believe in
How sweet it is to love someone, how right it is to care
How long it's been since yesterday and what about tomorrow
And what about our dreams and all the memories we share

The days they pass so quickly now, nights are seldom long
And time around me whispers when it's cold, the changes somehow frighten me
Still I have to smile, it turns me on to think of growing old
For though my life's been good to me, there's still so much to do
So many things my mind has never known
I'd like to raise a family, I'd like to sail away
and dance across the mountains on the moon

I have to say it now, it's been a good life all in all
It's really fine to have the chance to hang around
And lie there by the fire, and watch the evening tire
While all my friends and my old lady, sit and pass the pipe around

And talk of poems and prayers and promises and things that we believe in
How sweet it is to love someone, how right it is to care
How long it's been since yesterday, and what about tomorrow
What about our dreams, and all the memories we share



No comments:

Post a Comment